Wednesday, January 16, 2013

NYC

After my parents helped move me out of my apartment we flew to New York City for a few days to see all of the Christmas festivities. I must say there is nothing quite like New York at Christmas time.  The lights, the windows, the decorations, the shopping, the shows- Christmas time is definitely the best time to visit.
Mom and I at Rockefeller Plaza. Dad was taking the picture. 

One of our favorite things to see every year is the decorated windows at stores like Macy's and Lord and Taylor. Even in years when we can't go to NYC we enjoy watching the HGTV special on how they design and put together the windows. 

Macy's Window 
Macy's Window

Macy's Window
Macy's Window
Although the weather wasn't great, not to mention I was a little under the weather, we still had a great time. We usually stay at a nice little Hampton Inn that is about two blocks from Times Square. It is nothing fancy but it is really convenient, affordable, and you always know what you are getting with a Hampton Inn.

The first day we were there I was trying to recuperate in the room and get my feet back under me while the rest of the family went shopping. That night we were able to get tickets to Radio City's Christmas Spectacular and see the Rockettes. Every year Radio City does a great job with it and it is a lot of fun.

The next day we did a little more shopping. We visited the shops at Central Park and dad and I got one of our favorite treats, a real Belgian Waffle. This is probably what my dad I look forward to the most when we go to NYC. They are delicious. 

Belgian Waffle
After that we went to FAO Schwartz. I am just a big kid when it comes to toy stores and I love FAO. Although I was a little disappointed that they didn't have their giant key board performers any more but I did love the giant lego people. 


StarWars LEGOs
FAO Guard made out of LEGOs



After some more shopping we went to see Annie on broadway. Annie has been one of my favorite musicals for my entire life and our Annie VHS tape was well used back in the day. It was excellent... duh it's Broadway!


Time's Square
All in all it was a great trip. The next day mom, dad, and I took the train from NYC to DC, picked our car up and made the 8ish hour drive home. And boy was it good to be home!

For those of you have never taken the Amtrak before, I would recommend considering it on your next trip. It is not always quicker or cheaper but sometimes it is and, unlike a plane, it has outlets to plug in your computer or phone and free wifi! Not to mention you can get up and walk around some if you feel like it. It was a fun little adventure for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment